Last Updated: August 31, 2022
A Note about Your Health Information
The Categories of Information We Collect
We may collect the following categories of information about you:
- Contact information, such as your name, mailing address, email address, and phone number.
- Professional information, such as your employment and educational history.
- Internet activity information, such as your IP address, name of the network domain you use to access the Internet, your browsing history, and information about your interactions with the Website.
- Location information, such as your ZIP code.
- Other information you choose to provide, such as information you provide when you contact us.
We may also collect certain sensitive categories of information, including your protected health information. As mentioned above, our practices with respect to your protected health information are described in our HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices.
The Sources of Your Information
We collect your information from different sources, including through:
- Our interactions with you, such as when you contact us, submit a survey, or apply for a job.
- Cookies and other automated technologies, which are deployed on various pages of the Website.
- Third parties, such as business partners and public sources.
How We Use Your Information
We may use your information for the following purposes:
- Communicating with you. We use your information to respond to your communications, send you information on our products and services, and contact you regarding upcoming appointments, billing, and professional opportunities.
- Improving our products and services. We use your information to understand how our Website is used, improve the quality of the Website and the user experience, and develop and improve our products and services.
- Consider you for employment. If you apply for a job with us, we use your information to evaluate your candidacy for the position you applied for or other positions.
- Complying with legal obligations. We use your information to comply with legal requirements, including requests from law enforcement and court orders. We may also use your information to exercise and defend our legal rights.
- Security and fraud protection. We use your information to maintain the security of the Website and to prevent fraudulent, malicious, or illegal activity.
How We Share Your Information
We share your information under the following circumstances:
- Service providers. We may share this information with companies that provide services to us, such as technology and software providers.
- Corporate transactions. We may transfer your information in the event that we are involved in a merger, acquisition, sale of all or a portion of our business or assets, or other similar transaction.
- As required or permitted by law. If we believe it is appropriate or necessary, we may share your information to (i) comply with any applicable statute, regulation or other law, order, or legal process; (ii) protect our rights, property, or safety, and those or our business partners or others; (iii) enforce policies and procedures; and (iv) pursue damages or other remedies; and/or (v) respond to an emergency.
- With your consent. We may otherwise disclose your information if we have your consent.
We may also share de-identified or aggregate information in our discretion.
Cookies and Similar Technologies
- Strictly necessary cookies. These cookies are strictly necessary in order for you to use the Website, load and view content, and access your account.
- Functionality cookies. These cookies help us remember you and personalize features and content for you on the Website.
- Preference cookies. These cookies allow us to capture and store your information privacy related preferences (e.g., your opt-in and opt-out), account settings, and certain login information.
- Advertising cookies. These cookies will display advertising on the Website and on third-party websites and services. Some of these advertisements may be interest-based, meaning that they are tailored to your interests or behaviors on the Website or on other websites.
Certain of the pages on the Website may also include social sharing widgets, like the LinkedIn Share button or the Facebook Like button. These features may collect your IP address, which page you are visiting on the Website, and may set a cookie to enable the feature to function properly. Social media features and widgets are either hosted by a third party or hosted directly on the Website. Your interactions with these features are governed by the privacy statement of the companies that provide them.
To learn more about cookies and similar technologies, please visit https://allaboutcookies.org/. Most web and mobile device browsers automatically accept cookies and you can change your browser to prevent that or to notify you each time a cookie is set. You may also choose to opt out of receiving interest-based advertising by visiting the Network Advertising Initiative’s Opt-Out Tool.
Opting Out of Marketing Emails
We may send you emails with marketing or other promotional content. If you do not want to receive marketing emails from us, you may unsubscribe by clicking the “Unsubscribe” link that appears in the marketing emails that we send. Alternatively, you may contact us using the information that appears in the “Contact Us” section. Please be aware that, even if you unsubscribe from emails, you might continue to receive emails from us concerning legal matters and other important topics.
Your Nevada Privacy Rights
Nevada law gives residents the right to opt out of the sale of their information. We are not considered a data broker under the Nevada law and do not sell your personal information.
Notice to International Users
The information we collect about you will be stored in the United States and shared with third parties located in the United States and elsewhere in the world. The laws in the United States may differ from those in your home country. When we transfer your information from your local jurisdiction to the U.S. and other countries, we take steps to ensure such information is transferred in compliance with applicable data protection laws.
How We Protect Your Information
We have security policies and technology in place designed to prevent the loss, misuse, and alteration of the information under our control. However, it is impossible to completely guarantee the security of your information. We encourage you to exercise caution when sharing your information on the Internet.
Linking to Other Sites
Do Not Track Signals
Some web browsers include a “Do Not Track” feature that signals to websites that a user does not want to have their Internet activity tracked. While we are committed to respecting your privacy choices, these features are not uniform. For that reason, we do not currently recognize or respond to these Do Not Track signals.
The Website is intended for a general audience and not intended for or directed at children under the age of 13. As a non-profit organization, our collection of children’s personal information is not governed by the U.S. Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”). We do not intend to collect personal information as defined by COPPA (“Children’s Personal Information”) from minors under the age of 13 without parental consent.
The University of Chicago Medicine Privacy Program
Chief Privacy Officer
5841 S Maryland
Chicago, Illinois 60637